Monday, August 1, 2011

A Good and Perfect Gift

Dad has worked for the same company, out of the same office, for several years now.  He, like many other fathers, has gathered quite the collection of photographs and artwork on his office walls.  Recently he was told he'd be moving to a new office... and so began the process of 'stripping wall-papers'... 

Yesterday I came out to visit and noticed a few manilla envelopes on the kitchen table.  Momentarily I wondered about the contents... then forgot about them as the kids played with toys, and I talked with Dad.

I left the room, but could hear lots of talking and giggling.  I couldn't quite make out what was going on.  Upon my return, I found Dad and the kids huddled together on the living room floor, looking at examples of my (and my brother's) childhood artwork and a few photographs.  As I leaned in, I spotted a manilla envelope.   

So that's what had been stashed inside...

As we looked through all the scribbles and 'I love you Daddy' pictures... there was a large black and white photo.  It almost seemed out of place with everything else.  It was a picture of me I'd never seen; probably just covered up through the years on one of his walls.

As I brought it closer, I asked Dad if he'd noticed what I was holding... a tiny bouquet of Queen Anne's lace.


This may seem of little importance, unless you've read my post, Queen Anne's Lace, where I describe one of my childhood memories.  Coincidentally, I'm even standing by the edge of the woods somewhere...

Have you ever found a perfect gift for someone?  This picture was just that to me... a perfect gift, received in God's perfect timing.  Today I will remember to thank God for His good and perfect gifts, whether they be big or little... expected, or not.



Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above... 
-James 1:17


5 comments:

  1. I loved your story about the Queen Anne's Lace. Sounds like you have a wonderful father. I have several pictures of my 6 year old Abby, and some of them are with flowers and Queen Anne's Lace.

    When I first was married, several times I used to pick a bouquet of Queen Anne's Lace by the roadside for my wife Anne after I got off work from teaching. She considers them a flower and loves to have them in vases around the house. Once again Megan, thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small wonder, since reading your posts about your parents, grandmother etc...that they have such a truly beautiful daughter.Thank-you for using your gifts of writing and encouragement to bless others. Isn't it kind of neat that this 'weed' is so appropriately named?:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you August... I love my dad. We've gone through some tough times, especially in my teen years, but thankfully we're close again.

    I see we have daughters of about the same age... Olivia actually turns 6 tomorrow! I plan on bringing in Queen Anne's lace for her room and the table.

    Oh, and I would gladly receive a hand-picked bouquet over a purchased one any day! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Janet... I never know what to say when complimented, so I'll stick with 'Thank you' :) I'm so grateful for what I've been given, and am more than happy to share! I love this scripture:

    Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms. -1 Peter 4:10

    It's a little sad, but true... I never really had an interest in poetry until reading yours. Now I can't get enough, so thank you!

    ...I'm glad you see the irony in 'Queen Anne's lace' too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan, now I don't know what to say....but thank-you. Seriously, every time I am tempted to lay down my pen forever, it seems God sends me a 'nudge':)

    I love that verse too.
    God bless you today.

    ReplyDelete

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.”

~ Mother Teresa